JMacer Family

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

3 posters

Whisper-Keith fanfic

Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Number of posts : 467

Whisper-Keith fanfic Empty Whisper-Keith fanfic

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I've started a new Keith fan fiction, and wanted to let you guys know. Smile I'm currently posting it on fanfiction.net, but if you guys want me to start posting it here, I can def. do that as well.

Here's the link: Whisper

Also, just a little warning, this story is going to be rather sad, but I've had this idea for a while and needed to write it.

Thanks! Smile
    jessecraze
    jessecraze

Number of posts : 2003
    Hobbies : Music, writting, comedy, anything to do with Jesse or music...

Whisper-Keith fanfic Empty Re: Whisper-Keith fanfic

Post  jessecraze Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Yes please post it here. This is a fanfiction section and we need more people to post in it!!! <3333333 thanks. Can't wait to read (=
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Number of posts : 1289
    Hobbies : Going to the movies, reading, Twilight, Listening to music, finding new music/artists on YT.

Post  JesseMacNY Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Awe,i loved your other Keith fanfiction from fanfiction.net and,i love this one!. You should def.post it! Smile
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:30 pm

JesseMacNY wrote:Awe,i loved your other Keith fanfiction from fanfiction.net and,i love this one!. You should def.post it! Smile

Aww thank you so much! I will go post the first chapter now! Smile
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 pm

So far I have three chapters written of Whisper, so I will post them within the next few days. This story is probably going to be around ten chapters or so.

As far as rating goes, it will mostly be T, but there will be a few scenes which are mature (which is why I'm posting this in the mature section Wink).

Summary: Natalie had always heard that true love knows no bounds. But what happens when this actually comes true? Will she be able to let Keith go…forever?

Just so you know, I will probably be posting the chapters in a few separate messages since they are rather long. Let me know if I'm not separating them enough, and are still too long! Smile

Chapter One: Away From Me

Seven days have passed. Seven days since our goodbye scene. I thought everything would get easier, once Keith knew I was staying with him until, well, he left. The problem is, being with him—it hasn't been…easy, that is.

It just gets harder with each day that passes.

I've tried not to let it affect me; I just try not to think about it. The only thing I know how to do, really, is just to go on living like everything is normal, and that the guy I'm in love with isn't really going to die. That he isn't going to leave me.

I shook my head, trying to forget the depressing thoughts that constantly ran through my mind. I walked into the school, yawning. There was only a little less than three weeks left of classes and then we had finals; I hadn't been getting much sleep, hanging out with Keith until late at night and then coming home to study. It was worth it though.

I glanced around the hall, hoping to see Keith as I walked towards my locker, but I didn't. I frowned at this, hoping that he was just running a bit late.

However, before I could get too worried and come up with possible scenarios on what could be making Keith late, I opened my locker and my worried thoughts disappeared as my frown immediately turned into a smile at the sight that greeted me.

It was the most beautiful rose I had ever seen. Each petal was a different color, and not one was the same. The petals varied from blue, purple, pink, red, green—any color I could think of, it was there. I'm not sure how long I stared into my locker, wondering how something so beautiful even existed, before I gently grabbed the rose by its stem, and slowly brought it to my face; it smelled just as wonderful as it looked. I closed my eyes, wanting the smell to surround me forever.

"I'm glad you like it," chuckled the familiar voice that I loved. Keith's voice.

Opening my eyes and lowering the rose, I turned around to face him, a huge smile gracing my face. "You gave me this?" I asked, secretly wondering how he even knew my locker combination.

He rolled his eyes, before saying, "Partner, who else would give you that?" He was silent for a few seconds before adding, "Unless, of course, you have a bunch of boyfriends I don't know about…."

"Nope," I grinned. "Only you."

"Good," he finished. He glanced at the flower and asked quietly, "So, did you read it?"

"Read what?" I asked, but immediately knew what he was talking about when I glanced down at the rose. I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it before—a note made out of yellow construction paper was attached to the rose with dark purple ribbon.

Curious, I opened the small handmade note, but as I read it my grin diminished a fraction and I gazed back up to Keith. "Partenaire," I asked, wondering why the only word he had written on the note was "Partner" in French. "That's it? And when did you learn French?"

Keith just shrugged, before bending down and kissing me on the lips. "That's not important…." he whispered, causing me to shiver; he pulled away just as the bell rang.

"Are you going to tell me what the rest of the note is going to say?"

"No."

"What? Why?"

"Because you'll find out soon enough."

A shadow of something crossed his face, but I didn't ponder over it very long and quickly asked, "Like when?"

"Partner," he breathed, shaking his head back and forth while sighing.
    Instead of getting aggravated, I stood on my tiptoes, wrapping my arms around his neck, making sure the rose wouldn't get damaged, before I kissed him deeply. "We're late," he breathed a few seconds later, reluctantly breaking away from our kiss. "I'll meet you here for lunch, all right?"

I nodded slowly, not wanting to stop kissing him, or worse of all, be separated from his presence. Regretfully, we both pulled away, and I stood there, watching Keith walk to his class when a thought suddenly occurred to me and I called out, "Wait!"

He promptly turned around, and while glancing at me expectantly I lifted the rose up and softly asked, "What kind of rose is this?"

A smirk crossed his face. "That, partner, is a rainbow rose."

Lunch couldn't have come fast enough. After class, I ran to my locker feeling the anticipation build at seeing Keith. When I opened my locker, I smiled at the rose that was carefully placed on the top shelf. I wanted to keep it forever.

Just as I finished placing my books in my locker that I didn't need, I felt a hand cover my eyes. I grinned at the touch; I would know histouch anywhere.

"Keith," I laughed quietly, as I gently grabbed his hand and pulled it away from my eyes. "What're you doing?"

Before I had time to turn around to face him, I felt his fingers grace the back of my neck as he gathered all of my hair and moved it so it was resting over one shoulder. I felt myself jump slightly when his soft lips began kissing my upper back. Goosebumps appeared on my arms as his lips trailed kisses all the way up to my neck. I could stand here all day, just letting him kiss me, but I forced myself to turn around, knowing that if I didn't stop him now, I never would. "Keith!" I laughed, before giving him a kiss on the lips.

As I pulled away, Keith gave me one of his trademark lopsided grins and said, "I wanna go out."

"What?" I asked, a bit confused.

"Out for lunch," he stated firmly.

"But," I started dumbly, pointing inside my locker, "I brought my lunch."
    "So?" he pressed. "Please, I really wanna go out! Pretty please," he said, gently placing his hands on my shoulders and pushing me up against the locker next to mine, trapping me.

He then placed his forehead against mine and I tried not to think about how warm it felt against my own. "Please," he breathed again.

His warm breath against my lips caused my eyes to flutter closed. "All right," I whispered, relenting. "Let's go out for lunch."

He kissed me on the lips before pulling away. "Great!" he said, slamming my locker for me as I grabbed my backpack.

Once Keith was driving out of the school parking lot, I realized something and asked curiously, "So, where're we going?"

"Somewhere."

I huffed loudly. "I can't even know where we're going?"

"Nope," he said. "Oh, and close your eyes."

"Close my eyes?"

"Yes," he sighed, as if I was being really difficult. When he stopped at a light, he brought his lower lip out in a pout. "Please?"

"Fine," I said. He knew exactly what to do to make me agree.

When Keith parked, not ten minutes later, I went to open my eyes but he said, "No, don't open them yet."

"Why—"

"I'll be right back," he said, before I could finish my sentence.

I sat there, feeling incredibly stupid and wondering where the hell I was. After what felt like thirty minutes, but was probably more like five, I was just about to open my eyes and see what was taking Keith so long, when the door opened; at the immediate smell, I knew he had gotten McDonalds.

"Finally! Can I open my eyes now?"

"Not yet…."

"Keith—" I started.

Before I could finish, I felt something soft touch my nose and Keith said, excitement coming off of him in waves, "Open them!"

So I did and found myself staring into the eyes of a small stuffed animal baby chick. He was adorable. I felt a grin grace my face as I grabbed the small stuffed toy from Keith. "He's so cute," I breathed.

I was just about to ask him why he randomly bought me a kids' toy when he suddenly spoke up, making me wonder why he sounded so upset. "You know the displays they have? To show which toys kids can get in their meals? And how they have themes?" I nodded, wondering where he was going with all of this. "You will not believe what their theme was!"

"What?" I breathed.

"Farm animals!" he exclaimed, as if this was the worse thing he had ever heard. "It's just wrong. They are cooking cows and chickens in there and then giving kids' stuffed animals of an animal that they just cooked. I mean…imagine: a kid gets chicken nuggets, and with it comes a stuffed animal of a baby chick. What are they trying to do? Show them what their food used to look like? There's just something very wrong about that…." I bit my lip to keep from laughing; sometimes he was just so adorable. "Anyways, I got you Chirpy here…"

"Chirpy?"

"Yeah, I named him," he stated simply, shrugging his shoulders. "Stop laughing!" he stated seriously, as I let out a tiny giggle.

"I'm sorry," I said, not really sorry at all. "I think Chirpy here is mighty grateful to you. He'll have a good home now, not being afraid that he won't be made into chicken nuggets."

He just smirked, adorably at me, and while he was taking the food out of the bag (Oreo McFlurrys, cheeseburgers, and fries) I placed Chirpy on the dashboard, facing us.

"He looks good there," commented Keith as he handed me my food.
    I leaned up against him before answering, with a small smile, "Yeah, he does."

We were twenty minutes late to chemistry. Luckily, Mr. Miles only gave us 'The Look' as we sat down in seats towards the back. Now, that finals were approaching we didn't have labs anymore and instead Mr. Miles, just sat in front of the room and droned on and on about stuff that he hoped we had learned this semester, but knew very well that we hadn't.

I grabbed my notebook out of my bag, planning to take notes in case there was any new information. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Keith leaning back in his chair, eating his McFlurry, while simultaneously rolling his eyes at me.

At the end of class, I could tell Keith was getting tired, and was fighting to stay awake, which wasn't surprising as this was the time he started to get exhausted. Luckily, we only had one class left.

I waited patiently as Keith sluggishly gathered his stuff. As we walked out of class, Keith said, while pulling me out of the doorway and in front of his locker, "Have fun, partner." He then kissed me softly on the lips.

"You want me to have fun?" I giggled. "In history?"

He just grinned, his eyes shining despite his tiredness. "I'll see you later," he said and went to turn around, but I grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"We're meeting here, right?" I asked. It had become a routine for Keith to walk with me to my car after school, and, now, when he didn't do it, it just didn't feel right.

"Of course, partner," he said.

I gave him a small smile, and he returned one before he turned around and walked towards his class. I watched him walk down the hall until he disappeared out of my sight.

Away from me.
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Hobbies : Going to the movies, reading, Twilight, Listening to music, finding new music/artists on YT.

Post  JesseMacNY Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Love it Smile.
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm

After class, I waited by Keith's locker like always, but after five minutes, with the hallways almost empty, I knew he wasn't showing up. Having a good idea what happened, I walked to his English classroom. When I walked in, his teacher, Mrs. Miller, smiled up at me, before gesturing towards the back of the room. This was becoming a pretty common routine, Keith falling asleep in class, and me coming to wake him up.

I knelt next to Keith's desk. He had fallen asleep in what looked like a very uncomfortable position; his right cheek was resting on his open textbook and a pen was hanging limply in his hand. It looked like he had fallen asleep in the middle of an assignment. "Keith," I whispered. I grabbed his pen out of his hand and his notebook off his desk, and placed them in his backpack, before calling to him again. This time he stirred, but didn't open his eyes. "Keith, you need to get up, school's over."

Slowly, he sat up; his right cheek had a crease on it from sleeping on his textbook, and his hair was all over the place, making me want to run my hands through it; it was just so soft.

As he attempted to wake up, I grabbed his textbook and placed it in his backpack before standing up. I waited for him to stand up, patiently, since I could tell that he was still half asleep.

We said our goodbyes to Mrs. Miller and walked down the school halls towards the front doors, Keith lagging a bit behind me, still not fully awake. When we got to my car, I threw my backpack in the passenger seat, before turning to face Keith. He looked much more awake already, and I loved it when a smile graced his face and he asked, "Hey, you wanna come over? You can have dinner with my dad and I if you want."

"Sound perfect," I said, wanting to spend as much time with him as possible.

I loved how my answer caused his grin to turn into a full out smile; his eyes seemed to be shining brighter than the sun. "Great," he said, before bending down and kissing me. This time, however, it wasn't the soft kisses he normally gave me at school. His tongue ran across my bottom lip, causing my lips to tingle, before demanding entrance and I allowed it.

Keith arms gripped my hips and pulled me closer to him. I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot I was holding my notebook, and when I went to wrap my arms around him, my notebook fell to the ground just as a gust of wind swept by. "Shit," I cursed, pulling away from Keith, quickly bending down to get my notebook. Some of my papers had fallen out and were now getting dragged through the parking lot with the wind.

Before I had time to stand up and go after them, Keith was already chasing them. He caught the papers quickly, and when he was walking back towards me I recognized the piece of paper he was reading. "Don't read that!" I yelled, louder than I probably needed to.

Quickly, I ran up to him and tried to grab the paper from him, but he was too fast and moved it away from my reach. "I thought you didn't want to go to prom," was all he said.

Not knowing how to answer this question, I stupidly muttered, "That's not mine…"

"So, you're saying," started Keith amused, "that this random piece of paper with pictures of prom dresses and the date and time of prom magically appeared, at the same time you dropped your notebook?"

"Um…well…yeah…" I mumbled, shamefully looking at the ground.

"Natalie," said Keith, so seriously that I looked up at him, biting my bottom lip in worry. "Why do you keep telling me you don't want to go to prom, when," he glanced down at the piece of paper, "you obviously do."

"'Cause I don't," I answered, already knowing he'd be able to tell by the tone of my voice that I was lying.

"You don't?" he asked, raising his eyebrows and leaning towards me. My breath caught in my throat as our foreheads touched.

"No," I whispered. "Not…really. It's too much work. I mean, I'd have to get my hair done, my nails done. I'd have to find a dress." It would be so much fun, I thought. Deep down, no matter how much I told myself that I didn't want to go. I really did. I just didn't want the excitement of prom to cause Keith to exert himself and get sick.

Keith was silent for a few moments and for a split second I thought maybe I had convinced him, but then he said, pulling a few inches away, "You know, if we go, I'll be fine. You worry too much." I couldn't help but wonder how Keith always had the ability to know what I was thinking.

I was silent, so he added, "You've never been put off by too much work." He was right. "Look," he started, "If you're worried I'm not going to feel well, Natalie, it's okay. I'll be okay. The truth is, I haven't felt well in weeks, months even," he pressed. Another strong gust of went blew, causing my hair to fly in a dozen different directions. "Just because I'm…sick doesn't mean I can't—we can't do things. Like go to prom. I don't get why you're so worried, partner, I can still do things. It's—it's not going to make…it sooner you know?"

I tried to come up with the right words to say, but all I could think of was to mumble, "But—"

"Go with me," he whispered, the softness and seriousness of his voice causing goose bumps to rise on my arms.

"Keith…" was all I could croak out. Did he know how much that statement affected me?
    He just gave me a sad smile. We stood there for a few moments, before he whispered, "Think about it, okay? It'd mean a lot to me."

And with that, he leaned down and gave me a soft kiss on my forehead before walking towards his truck. I leaned up against my car, not taking my eyes off of him as he got into his truck, and at the same time thinking about what he had asked me.

The problem was, I really wanted to go to prom with Keith. I just didn't want to risk his health in any way for something that wasn't really that important. I wasn't about to risk doing something that would take him away from me sooner.

But, then, I also knew, no matter what I did to prevent his imminent death, his leaving me; it would always be too soon.

I was only five minutes behind Keith. I had decided to give myself a few days to decide if I should go to prom with Keith. As soon as I got to Keith's we both settled into his bedroom. I took my seat at his desk, and proceeded to do homework, while he watched television from his bed.

Two hours later, I found myself not doing homework, but instead quietly watching Keith. He was leaning up against the headboard of his bed, wearing only a pair of ratty flannel pajamas, with no shirt; apparently, he was too hot (not that I was complaining). I knew I probably had the silliest look on my face, but I couldn't get over how freaking sexy he looked, just sitting there. He probably had no idea.

I tried to tear my gaze away from his form, since I knew I should get back to my homework and not stare at my boyfriend, but I couldn't help it. I figured I was entitled to at least another two minutes of staring, before I had to get back to work. Just as I thought this, however, I realized Keith's eyes were staring into mine. I couldn't believe how green they were—I could see their brilliant color even a few feet away. "What?" I asked, wondering why he was giving me such a strange look.

"Are you staring at me?"

"No," I said, and too quickly.

And then he did it—he laughed. And all of my resolve to sit a few feet away from him until I finished my homework went away. His laugh was just so amazing. I felt the sound of it curl around me and practically drag me towards him.

I was sure that's how I found myself crashing my lips against his; unfortunately, silencing his laugh, but the taste of his lips was enough to make up for it.

I maneuvered myself on top of him, and smiled against his lips as I felt, through the thin fabric of his pajamas, the reaction I was getting from him.

A few minutes later, when we both separated to gulp down air, he looked up at me and said, "You are so beautiful," while his hand made its way underneath my shirt. I shivered against his touch as his fingers found my bra.

"Ah, I see," I started playfully. "You think that by saying comments like that you have entitlement to roam your hands wherever they please?"

"Pretty much," he grinned as his hands continued to roam.

I laughed, before bending down and resuming the pleasant task of kissing him. I was pretty sure it was my favorite thing to do. I felt him grind against me as soon as our lips touched. A few minutes later, he grabbed the bottom of my shirt and mumbled against my lips, "Off." I broke away from him, so he could pull my shirt off completely. Taking our moment of separation, I moved my fingers towards the band of his pajamas, and without saying anything, he lifted himself up a bit so I could swiftly take them off.

And then he did the same to me.

He skillfully moved me so instead of straddling him, I was lying on my back. I wrapped my arms around him, tightly, as he began kissing me; his lips tasted of mint, and Keith, and love. A strong emotion filled me and, in that moment, I knew, that no matter what, nothing would make me let go of him.

Nothing.

It was amazing and beautiful. I could feel love coming off of him in waves, filling the room like smoke.

I had never before felt this kind of emotion…this love. Ever. And all I could do was pour everything I had into him, pulling him as close to me as possible….I couldn't really describe it—all I knew was that being with Keith it—it felt like…home.

Even when Keith slowed down, and his body fell limp on top of me, the feelings I had…they still stayed with me. A few minutes later, Keith, still breathing deeply, lifted his head up and stared into my eyes; love seemed to be spilling out of them like tears as he whispered, "I love you." I softly smiled at him, running my fingers through his hair. "Partner," he breathed, "please, won't you go to prom with me?"

My fingers stopped suddenly and I glanced away from his gaze at his question. Biting my bottom lip, a million thoughts were running through my head, but when I looked into Keith eyes, I knew that he wanted to go as badly as I did. So, I wrapped my arms around him, tightly, and whispered into his ear, "Yes, Keith, I'll go to prom with you."

For dinner we had Chinese. When Henry had come home, Keith had begged him to order it. Apparently, it was his favorite. I knew as soon as Keith brought his lower lip out in a pout and had begged, "please," in the childish voice that we teenagers use against our parents, knowing they won't refuse, Henry relented, telling Keith he could order whatever he wanted.

We ended up getting sweet and sour soup and sesame chicken. It was amazing.
    I just finished eating the last of my meal and brought my plate into the kitchen when Keith came up from behind me and while wrapping his arms around me he asked, "What do you want for dessert?" Sometimes, I don't know how he could eat so much. I was going to say this, but instead I turned around glanced into this bright green eyes, their color making me momentarily frozen before I stuttered out, not being able to take my eyes away from his face…his eyes, "What do you have?"

He was silent as he contemplated my question, but then, suddenly his eyes sparkled even more and he said, "Brownies."

"Yum," I said, licking my lips, loving the way his eyes followed my tongue. He shook his head, taking his gaze away from my lips and grabbed my hand, pulling me close to his chest. He let me stay there for a few minutes, allowing me to drown myself in his warmth, before he pulled away, just when I was about to suffocate in the feeling of it all. "Want milk with it?" he asked.

"Sure," I said, smiling up at him. While he was getting the brownies and milk, I grabbed a textbook from my backpack, knowing that if I didn't read the two chapters I was assigned, I was going to fail the quiz tomorrow. Why teachers assign quizzes and tests so close to finals, I will never know.

We ate our dessert in the living room. I read my book while Keith watched television. And that's how the next hour went, Keith watching T.V while Henry (who was sitting in the chair by the couch) and I read. At one point, Keith fell asleep, his head falling on my shoulder. As soon as this happened, Henry called, softly but urgently, "Natalie," and he pointed to Keith whose grip on his glass was loosening the deeper he fell asleep. I grabbed the glass just in time before his head lolled father down my chest. After placing his cup on the coffee table, I wrapped my left arm around him, before I continued to read.

Just as I was nearing the end of my chapter, Henry got up and quietly walked towards Keith. "It's getting late, I should get him to bed."

"Yeah," I said, reluctantly. Even though I was tired too, I didn't really want to move out of the position Keith and I were in.

Ever.

Henry gently called to Keith who only murmured something neither of use could quite understand. "Come on, Keith. You need to go take your medicine and get to bed." I could tell by the look on Henry's face that he didn't look too happy having to wake Keith up.

When Keith didn't budge Henry gave me a look and I scooted over careful to hold onto Keith so he didn't fall over. Luckily, he was awake enough that he repositioned himself so his head was resting on the back of the couch.

"C'mon, Natalie has to get home and it's late."

At these words, Keith's eyes flew open and landed on me. Still half-asleep he whispered, "Stay?"

I was a little surprised by this request, but not completely since he had been asking me to stay over quite a few times in the past week.

"Keith," started Henry before I could respond, "Natalie probably wants to sleep in her own bed at home."

Tiredly, he moved his eyes to glare at Henry. "But I want her to stay." He turned to look at me. "Please?"

"Of course," I answered. I knew right from the moment he had asked me that nothing would make me leave.

He grinned, a tired grin, before rubbing his eyes and slowly getting up. As he walked into his room, I went to put my textbook back into my bag when Henry said, "You don't have to stay, Natalie. I'm sure he'll understand."

"No! No, I want to stay, honest." I smiled at him. I said goodnight to Henry, before I made a quick call to my mom, letting her know I would be staying for the night. Last week, I had finally gotten the courage and told my parents what had been going on with me. I told them everything, well, mostly everything. I was just so completely relived and happy that they understood and that they were okay with it all.

Once I was off the phone, I walked into Keith's room and as soon as I did, I tripped on one of his shoes and almost fell on my face. As I righted myself, I heard Keith laughing and I looked up to glare at him. He was standing near me, toothbrush in mouth, laughing at me, his eyes sparkling.

"Shut up," I said, as I found Keith's bed, thankful that I didn't trip again. I was about to get into bed, when I realized something. "Keith, can I borrow some pajamas?"

He walked out of his bathroom, and grabbed something from a drawer and threw it at me. I glanced them and then back to him.

"What?" he asked, pulling his the covers on his down and attempting to get under them, but I grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"Um…a shirt?" I glared. "You only gave me pants."

At this, he laughed. The laugh I loved; the laugh that I swore always surrounded me and in those moments was all I could hear.

"That's all I'm wearing," was all he said.

"Keith!" I admonished, hitting him with his sweatpants, before standing up. I quickly changed into them and found one of his t-shirts on the floor and put it on.

As soon as I pulled it over my head, Keith's scent surrounded me and I drank it in greedily. Loving the way his scent was all around me, I crawled into bed with him.

"I was kind of hoping you weren't going to wear anything…." said Keith.

"Shut up," I whispered, even though it sounded softer than I indented it to.

I thought Keith was going to fall asleep within seconds, since he seemed tired, but an hour after we had gotten into bed, he was still trying to find a comfortable position.

"Keith," I said finally, not being able to take his constant movements any longer. "Can you please stop moving around so much?"

"I can't fall asleep," he mumbled. "And I'm tired…."

I lied there, not really sure how to help him when, suddenly, and idea came to me and I said, "Hey, roll over, facing the wall."

He did so. "What're you doing?" he asked, once he was in the correct position.

"We're going to play a game."

"What kind of game?"

"A guessing game of sorts."

"Really?" he asked, excitement lacing his voice.

"Yeah, try to guess what letter I'm spelling out, all right?"

"What do you me—" he started, but stopped as soon as I began lightly tracing a word on his bare back with my index finger.

"Do you know it?" I asked him once I was finished with the word.

"I dunno…."

"I'll do it again," I whispered, and this time took my time tracing each letter individually.
    As soon as I finished, Keith said, in a tone that I knew, even though I couldn't see his face, that he was smiling. "Truck?"

"Yup," I said. "Next one."

The game went on for a good thirty minutes, and I could tell Keith was falling asleep, happy that my plan was working.

I just finished tracing the last letter of the next word, but this time got no guesses from Keith. I called to him, making sure my voice wasn't too loud in case he had finally fallen asleep.

After getting no response, I carefully sat up in bed, and leaned over Keith, checking to make sure he was asleep. His eyes were closed, and at his steady deep breathing, I knew he was.

I lied back down, pulling the covers over us both before, snuggling up as close to him as possible before saying, "I love you, Keith," trying not to wonder how many more times I'd be able to say those words aloud and he would be there to hear them.

Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:05 pm

JesseMacNY wrote:Love it Smile.

Thank you so much! Smile I just posted the rest of the chapter!
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Post  JesseMacNY Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Awe,again loved it Smile. Update soon,please Smile.
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:44 pm

JesseMacNY wrote:Awe,again loved it Smile. Update soon,please Smile.

Thank you! I will try to post more tomorrow!
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Post  JesseMacNY Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Skysthelimit wrote:
    JesseMacNY wrote:Awe,again loved it Smile. Update soon,please Smile.

Thank you! I will try to post more tomorrow!

Whenever you can! Smile Thanks.
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Sorry it took me so long! Here's chapter two!

Chapter Two: Your Star

The next morning, I found myself practically falling off of Keith’s bed. Knowing why I was in this position, I rolled over, planning on pushing him back onto his side of the bed. But when I saw him, sleeping there, his body sprawled on the bed, one arm resting on his bare stomach and one underneath his pillow, I just couldn’t do it. He looked so damn adorable.

Instead, knowing that I couldn’t move Keith out of the position he was in, I snuggled up close to him, closing my eyes. I tried to allow Keith’s deep and easy breathing to lull me back to sleep, but after twenty minutes, and too many thoughts running through my head, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep. I decided that I’d go outside…and think, hoping the cool morning air would let me clear my mind a bit.

I sat up slowly, kissing Keith on the forehead before I carefully got out of bed. Quietly, I grabbed a sweater of Keith’s that was on the floor and put it on, knowing that it’d still be cold out as it was only five in the morning.

I walked quietly through the house, hoping I wouldn’t wake up Henry. I opened the front door, but tensed when it slammed a bit behind me.

Breathing in the chilly morning air, I sat down on the concrete, resting my head on my knees, and let my constant thoughts race through my head. Most of them focusing on Keith.

I tried not to think about how everything would change once Keith was gone, but it was pointless. I thought about it a lot. I hated thinking about how my life was going to be without Keith in it. I hated it…a lot because it made me realize what it—my life—was going to be like once he died.

Empty, cold, and…pointless.

Deep down his death haunted me. It was like a lingering cloud always hung above my head. I was constantly asking myself questions. Was death painful? Would Keith know, seconds before, that he was about to die? Would his life really flash before his eyes? Would he really see a bright light?

I hated the fact that the details of death were so unknown. I wanted to know everything. I wanted to know everything because I felt like it would give me some type of peace. Deep down, though, I knew I never would get the peace I wanted.

Sometimes I wondered whether or not Keith thought of death. I wondered if he was scared. Scared like I was.

I don’t know how long I sat outside, thinking about Keith, when I heard the front door open and then felt someone sit next to me. “You’re up early,” said Henry. When I turned to look at him he handed me a cup of coffee.

Carefully, I grabbed the cup from him and took a sip, the coffee warming me like a blanket. “Yeah,” I started to answer, “I couldn’t sleep…too-too much on my mind.”

“Yeah,” he sighed, which seemed to shake the earth. “Yeah, I know what you mean…” he admitted. He rubbed his face tiredly, and stared ahead of him out into the street. I was positive he wasn’t really seeing anything.

I didn’t like the sad look that crossed Henry’s face, as he sat there, so trying to lighten both of our moods I said, with a small smile, “Plus, Keith hogs the bed.”

He laughed and I was immensely glad to see my comment had produced a smile. “Yes, he does. I remember when he was little, when he’d get scared and come into our room. He’d squeeze between Sandra and I and by the morning either me or Sandra was on the floor.” His eyes got a far away look, as if he was trying to hold onto his memory and never forget it.

I was about to say something, but jumped when I heard the front door open and Keith came walking out. “What’re you guys doing?” he asked, his voice still thick with sleep.

He sat in between Henry and I. “Natalie and I are just sitting in the quiet, Keith, enjoying the morning air.”

Keith rolled his eyes. “Dad, you are so weird.”

I giggled at that, and Keith looked at me. I just smiled at him, loving the way his cheeks where red from sleep and his hair was all over the place. He leaned up to me, giving me a kiss before saying, “Morning.”

“Morning, Keith,” I whispered. I really wanted to run my fingers through my hair, to feel its silkiness, and I would have if Henry wouldn’t had been sitting there.

“Dad?” spoke up Keith.

“Yes, Keith?”

“Can you make pancakes?”

Henry chuckled loudly. “Keith, is food all you think about?”

Keith huffed. “Dad, please, you forgot about trucks.”

“Oh, right, trucks.”

I snorted loudly at that and glared at Keith. He turned to look at me. “Aren’t you’re forgetting something?” I pressed.

“Hmm…food and trucks…nope, that’s about all I think about.” I slapped him—hard—on his arm and he grinned. “Okay, I think about Natalie too.” I smiled. Keith was silent for about two seconds before he said, “So, Dad, can you?”

“I’ll make pancakes,” said Henry, the corners of his mouth curving into a smile.

“Sweet,” said Keith, getting up. He opened the front door and looked back at me expectantly, before saying, “C’mon, partner.”

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I smiled.

For some reason, as soon as Keith left, there was an awkward silence, between Henry and I. Just as I was about to get up, Henry looked at me and said, “Natalie?”

“Yeah?”

“You love him, don’t you?”

His question was serious and sincere at the same time. My vision grew blurry as tears filled my eyes. “I love him,” I whispered, not really carrying how my voice had wobbled when I had answered this.

He smiled at me, an emotion passing his face that I couldn’t recognize. “Thanks,” he began. “It’s not that I didn’t think you didn’t…it’s just I wanted to make sure…you know?”

I nodded. I understood exactly why Henry wanted to know, to make sure. He didn’t want me to leave Keith, not when he needed me the most. “I know,” I whispered, and he smiled at me again, before getting up and heading back inside the house.

The rest of the week went by quickly. I had spent a lot of my time after school, shopping for my dress (which was dark purple and fell just below my knees—it was simple, and just what I wanted), shoes (which were silver and had straps twisted in the front), and accessories (just a simple necklace and earrings).

And before I knew it, Saturday night had arrived and my mom was helping me zip up my prom dress, and making final touches to my makeup while Keith was waiting downstairs with my dad. I just hoped my dad wasn’t freaking Keith out. Like telling him he’d beat him up if I wasn’t brought home in one piece or something.

Figuring that I should get downstairs and free Keith from my dad’s overprotective speech, I quickly slipped my shoes before checking myself in my mirror one last time. “How do I look?” I asked my mom, turning around for her to inspect me.

Her eyes got kind of glassy and I really hoped she wasn’t about to cry. “You look stunning,” she replied, making me blush.

“Really?”

She just smiled at me, which gave me more of an answer than any words would have. I gave her a small smile back, before grabbing a tiny sweater off of my bed. “Well,” I said, “this is it.”

I swore my mom looked like she was about to cry any second, so I took that as my cue to leave. I didn’t want my mom to start bawling. That might just freak Keith out enough to leave.

At the top of the stairs, I took a deep breath before I began descending them. My heart was pumping loudly in my chest and I wondered if anyone could hear it.

Walking down the stairs, I spotted Keith before he did me. As soon as my dad glanced up and saw me, Keith turned around, and as soon as his eyes caught mine, they widened and clouded over with an emotion I couldn’t quite distinguish; he looked quite speechless. I felt like I was in one of those cheesy romantic movies.

I loved every minute of it.

When I walked up to Keith, he hesitantly stepped forward and gently grabbed my hand. Pulling me closer to him, he gave me a soft, shy kiss on my lips before stepping back and saying, “Hey, partner. You look beautiful.”

I had to blink rapidly to keep back the tears that wanted to fall. The way he said those words—they were just to full of honestly, passion, and love that I almost broke down. Why did he have to be so perfect? Why did he have to be everything I wanted? And why, why, did he have to leave me?

I mentally shook myself. No, I couldn’t think about him leaving me. I wouldn’t. Not tonight. Tonight was prom and I was supposed to be happy—happy that I was with him and he was with me. The depressing thoughts left me almost instantly, and I smiled up at him, glancing him over.

He was wearing a black suit that fit him perfectly, and a white shirt with a dark purple tie that matched my dress perfectly. “You look handsome,” I said with a smile, loving the way a tiny blush bloomed on his cheeks.

“I-I got this for you,” he said, sounding bit nervous. He was just too adorable. I watched as he lifted up a plastic box that I hadn’t noticed he was holding.

He let go of my hand and fumbled to open it which contained a beautiful corsage. It was simple; just a single purple rose, and was accented with tiny pearls and some baby’s breath. “It’s perfect,” I said, glancing up at him. He grinned back at me.

Turning around, I grabbed his boutonnière off of the coffee table that I had gotten for him. It was simple as well, just a white rose with purple ribbon to match my dress. I attached it carefully to his jacket, making sure not to prick him. As soon as I got it on my mom exclaimed, “Outside! Pictures!”

I groaned and grabbed Keith’s hand, gently leading him to the front yard where my mom proceeded to take about a million and one pictures. Soon, I had had enough of pictures, and Keith looked like he felt the same, even though I knew he wouldn’t say anything. When my mom noticed I was trying to sneak away she said, “Just-just one more!”

I halted so quickly that Keith ran into me. “No more,” I said to my mom, promptly grabbing Keith’s hand and pulling him towards his truck. If we didn’t leave now, I was sure my mom would hold us hostage and take pictures all night.

As we got closer to Keith’s truck, I glanced at him and began to silently laugh at the confused and overwhelmed look gracing his face. “Bye!” I called to my mom as we both, finally, got into Keith’s truck. Sure enough, when I glanced up through the window, she was still taking pictures.

“Your parents are nice,” said Keith as he pulled out of the driveway.

I groaned. I couldn’t believe the first time he had to meet my parents, my dad was acting all protective and my mom all psycho. “They’re crazy, Keith.”

He laughed, and I closed my eyes at the sound. Was there anything more beautiful? “There’s nothing wrong with being crazy, partner.”

I smiled at him before I asked, “So, where are we going to dinner?”

“You’ll see.”

“Keith, seriously!” I crossed my arms against my chest, trying to look pissed.

“Partner, you know that face only makes you look cute, right?”

“Keith!”

“Just sayin’.”

As Keith drove, I tried to think of the place he was taking me, but really couldn’t come up with anything. Twenty minutes later, when he parked, I instantly recognized where we were—the parking lot to my favorite restaurant. “No way,” I said. “We’re getting fondue?”

“No, partner,” he began. “I only parked in their parking lot to tease you, but we’re actually eating at a restaurant five blocks away. Which only serves bland soup and maybe, if you’re lucky, bread.”

“Keith, this is too expensive!” He rolled his eyes. “And-and you said you hated fondue!” I didn’t want him to spend all of his money on food that he didn’t like.

“Well…I lied. I’ve actually never had it.”

I raised my eyebrows. “How can you say you hate it, then?”

He shrugged. “It sounds weird. Dippin’ food into cheese.”

“You think that sounds weird? You dip those beef stick into Twinkie frosting or whatever it’s called.”

“Now, that is good food.”

I gently slapped him on the arm before saying, “Seriously, Keith, you don’t need to take me here. We can go get something else. Like McDonalds or we could even—”

He placed his index finger on my lips, silencing me. “Partner, I’m going to be nice about this. Shut up, okay? We’re going here.”

I nodded slowly, gently grabbing his wrist and taking his finger away from my face, before leaning forward. “Okay,” I whispered against his lips.

The restaurant was called Mona Lisa, and I loved it not only because their food was amazing, but also I loved the atmosphere of the place. It was dark and had a very romantic feel to it.

We sat down and I began explaining to Keith exactly how everything worked. By the time I finished my spiel he looked quite excited.

“You mean, I actually get to dip marshmallows into chocolate?”

“Yup, and cheesecake and strawberries and—”

“Did you just say strawberries?”

“Yup,” I grinned.

I have never seen Keith so excited—okay, maybe I have—but still, I loved seeing him like this. As soon as we got our first course of the actual fondue (the cheese) he wouldn’t stop grinning.

I wish I could have just frozen this moment—never let it go. Just keep replaying it over and over again in my head. It would never get old.

Never.

We talked about everything and…it was perfect. I wanted to learn everything about Keith; I never wanted him to stop talking, because when he talked…everything just felt…right. I felt like I belonged only with him and no one else.

Keith loved the second course, which was meat that you cooked by yourself on a tiny grill. He was having so much fun, that most of his meat turned out incredibly burnt, because he didn’t want to take it off the grill and end the fun.

But when we got to the last course—a dark chocolate fondue, which you dip a variety of desserts in, I knew that it was his favorite. His eyes were wide with excitement and I swore his grin was the biggest I had ever seen.

And as soon as he dipped a marshmallow in the chocolate and took a bite he said, not even bothering to finishing chewing, “This is my favorite.” I tried to stifle a giggle. “What?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I smirked, grabbing a piece of cheesecake and dipping it into the chocolate.

He just grinned at me, before he stabbed a strawberry and literally submerged it in the chocolate; however, when he went to take it out it was so loaded with chocolate that it fell off of his fork and back into the chocolate. “Oops,” he said, trying to use his fork to rescue his strawberry.

Before he could do so, however, I placed my hand on top of his, officially stopping him from further searching. “You know what this means, don’t you?”

“What?” he asked, furrowing his brow in confusion at how serious I sounded.

“You do know that if you drop something in the chocolate…that I have to do something, right?”

“Something? Something like what?” he asked.

I bit my lip, trying to look extra nervous, before a grin finally spread across my face and I said, “The rule is that I have to kiss you….”

His eyes got wide. “Really?”

I nodded as I began leaning over the table, Keith following my lead. It felt like we were moving in slow motion. Which our lips finally met, I closed my eyes, letting the feeling surround me. His lips were moist and tasted of chocolate and just…Keith.

When we pulled away, I knew I had a silly look on my face, but I really couldn’t bring myself to care. No one’s kisses had ever affected me like Keith’s.

I grabbed a brownie, replaying the kiss over and over in my mind, while Keith quickly rescued his strawberry, before grabbing another a piece of the cheesecake. However, somehow, it accidently fell into the chocolate again….so I kissed him again.

And after that, Keith dropped another piece of food into the chocolate.

And another.

And another.

That’s how the rest of our dessert progressed, Keith ‘accidently’ dropping his food into the chocolate and me kissing him. I don’t think it could have been more perfect.
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 pm

The prom was beautiful. The theme was starry nights, so the ceilings had dark blue tissue paper with white lights attached to them, giving the affect of stars.

I grabbed Keith’s hand more tightly, as we walked in, leading him straight towards a line.

“Where are we going?” he asked me, as I continued to pull him in the direction of the line.

At his complete obliviousness, I said, “Honestly, Keith, we’re getting pictures.”

“Pictures?” I nodded. “Can we make funny faces?” He looked too entirely excited as this prospect.

“No, Keith,” I said, rolling my eyes. “You cannot make a funny face in our prom picture!”

“Why not?” He looked so upset at this, that I almost relented. Almost.

“’Cause I said so,” I said, as I grabbed an order sheet to fill out as we waited in line.

After I finished filling out the form, Keith said, “I can’t even stick out my tongue?”

I glared at him. “No.”

“What about if we get each other bunny ears?”

“No,” I said, more sternly this time. He just glared at me, before bringing his lower lip out in a pout. I had to look away, because I knew if I kept staring at the face he was giving I would give in.

When it was our turn, the photographer positioned us before getting behind his camera. Right before he snapped the photo I said to Keith, “If you make a funny face you’ll be in trouble.”

After our picture was taken, and we were walking to where the actual dance was, Keith said, “I guess you won’t know if I made a funny face until we get the picture.”

“Keith!” He chuckled.

Most people were dancing, but there were also some standing around the refreshments area, which had punch, cookies, and even a chocolate fountain.

“They have food!” said Keith. I turned to look at him, and loved how his eyes were gleaming like a kid on Christmas morning.

“Keith, you just had a bunch of food.”

“So?” he grinned. I just rolled my eyes, trying not to think how much he seemed to be able to eat. “You wanna dance?” he asked.

I nodded, smiling up at him. He led me over to the dance floor, where Keith began dancing. Okay, I wouldn’t really call it dancing. I don’t really know what he was doing, but it was still adorable and so Keith.

I just loved how, no matter what, he did what he wanted—he was himself. He was…Keith. I don’t think I could have loved him more than I did right then.

After about an hour of dancing, I noticed Keith seemed to be really out of breath and I knew he needed to sit down for a while. I couldn’t exactly tell him this, so instead I said, “My feet are killing me. Can we sit down for a minute?”

He nodded, looking relieved. We pushed through the crowd of people and were lucky enough to find a small table, covered with a shimmery blue cloth, and silver star-shaped confetti tossed on top.

Keith slumped into the nearest chair, trying hard to catch his breath and I said, “I’m going to get some punch, want some?”

He nodded gratefully. On my way to the refreshments, I tensed when I caught sight of Raff looking in my direction; I kept my gaze firmly ahead, and was relived when he went back to his date and didn’t come try and talk to me.

I grabbed two plastic cups and began filling them with strawberry punch. When I finished, I went to turn around, but bumped into someone. “Shit, I’m sorry,” I said, righting the cups before I glanced at the person.

When I did, my eyes got wide as I recognized who I had run into. Brooke.

The silence as we both recognized each other was incredibly awkward. I didn’t know what to say to her. I knew that I had been a bad friend to her, but I just didn’t know how to explain everything that was going on to her.

Part of me wanted to take her aside and tell her everything. I wanted to tell her how much I missed her and how much I needed her through this difficult time. But I just couldn’t. Part of me was worried that she wouldn’t believe me or just wouldn’t care. I was worried that she would tell me that Keith was a freak and Raff was so much better and it was stupid to love him. That I was stupid for loving him. For loving Keith. And that one thought, most of all, kept me from saying anything.

So, I was surprised when she spoke up, “You look nice.”

“You too,” I said.

The awkward silence seemed to get worse with every second that passed. “Um,” she started, “Did you see the final layout of the yearbook?”

I nodded. “Yeah, it looked good. Really, really good.”

“I heard we should be getting them in a week or so.”

“Really? That’s great.”

She smiled shyly at me for a few seconds, and it appeared we both had nothing much else to say. A few seconds later, she cleared her throat, and while, pointing behind us towards the punch, she said, “Well, I better….”

“Yeah, yeah, of course,” I numbly nodded.

She took a few steps forward, but then stopped and glanced back at me as if she wanted to say something else, but she didn’t, instead, she quickly walked away.

I stood there for a few seconds, wishing that I would have been brave enough to have said something, before I sighed to myself and walked back over to Keith.

I felt a small smile grace my face as I neared the table that Keith was at; he had loosened his tie and had unbuttoned his shirt enough that I could see a little bit of his chest.

I handed him his drink and he took it gratefully, downing all of it in less than thirty seconds. “Thanks,” he said, once he was done.

However, before I could reply or finish my drink, Keith realized something and stood up quicker than I thought possible, grabbed my hand, pulling me up from my chair, and dragging me towards the dance floor.

“Keith wh—”

He placed both of his hands on my hips and pulled me close before saying, “We haven’t danced a slow song yet, partner.”

I about melted into a puddle at his words. Grinning, I wrapped my arms around his neck. “How come you’re so sweet sometimes?” I asked, not taking my gaze away from his.

“Sometimes? Only sometimes?”

I giggled. “Okay, maybe most of the time….”

He narrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “So what am I during the time that I’m not sweet?”

“Hmm…let me think you can be annoying, irritating and, well, infuriating….”

“Aren’t those kind of like the same thing?”

“Not…technically….”

He just pulled me closer, placing his forehead against mine. When the song ended, he placed both hands on the side of my face before leaning in and kissing me.

The prom ended at midnight. Afterwards, I had expected Keith to drive us back to his house.

But he didn’t.

Instead, he parked in front of an IHOP. “Why’re we here?” I asked him.

He turned to me. “Everyone goes to IHOP after prom. It’s the thing to do.”

He just looked so cute there, trying to look serious, and I just smiled at him. Sometimes smiles said more than words.

Keith was right, when we walked inside there were at least half a dozen couples who had come from their prom. We were led to a booth in the back. As soon as we sat down, Keith ordered both of us coffee.

Since it wasn’t very crowded, we got our coffee right away and as we were both adding milk and sugar, I finally got the change to get a good look at him. He had shadows under his eyes, granted most days he always did, but right now, they were darker and more prominent. His face also seemed to shine with a thin layer of sweat.

I tried to remind myself that we had just spent the past four hours dancing and he was supposed to look tired. But when I noticed how much his hands were shaking when he lifted his cup to his lips, I felt dread fill me. “Are you feeling okay?” I asked, hoping I sounded casual.

“I’m fine, partner,” he said quickly. Too quickly in my opinion. However, when he shakily set down his cup on the table, and it almost fell over, he looked up at me, guilt crossing his face, knowing that I had noticed. “I’m just tired,” he weakly muttered.

“Are you sure?” I asked. I hoped he was telling the truth. I didn’t want him to lie to me.

“Positive,” he said, but at my worried look he added, “Look, I probably shouldn’t have danced so much, but I promise, all I need is sleep.” I bit my lip, trying to make myself believe him. “You trust me, don’t you?”

That did it. He had me. “I trust you,” I whispered.

Just then the waitress came over and took our orders. Keith got chocolate pancakes and I got a Belgium waffle. In less than ten minutes after we ordered, our food came. I watched as Keith took his pancakes and stacked them on top of each other. In between each pancake he put butter, strawberry syrup, and whip cream. When he took his first bite, I wondered how he got the whole forkful in his mouth.

We ate our food in silence, and when I happened to look up at him, I saw some whip cream on the side of his mouth, and couldn’t stop myself from leaning forward, grabbing his tie, and pulling him as close to me as possible.

Keith’s face was shocked and a bit confused as I leaned in towards his lips; I licked away the whip cream before kissing him long and hard. I pulled back a bit, and lips still gracing his, I said, “You had some whip cream on your lip….”

He didn’t respond; his eyes were just glazed over with surprise and he couldn’t seem to take his gaze away from my lips. I kissed him once more before letting go of his tie, where he practically fell back onto the booth.

He still had a shocked look on his face, and I couldn’t help but smile as I pick up my fork and continue eating. “Keith?” He blinked. “Keith!”

Finally, he snapped back to reality and I said, with a smile on my face, “Thanks for taking me to prom.”

He didn’t say anything back to me; he just grinned. A huge grin that seemed to light up the whole room. His smile—it said it all. It said everything I felt, and everything I wanted to say.

There didn’t need to be any words.

After eating at IHOP, Keith drove us back to his house, and we had fallen asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow. We didn’t wake up until past noon. After we had woken up and had some breakfast, Keith drove me home. I was happy to notice that sleep had seemed to rejuvenate Keith. He wasn’t shaking anymore and the dark circles under his eyes weren’t as prominent. I had wanted to spend the whole day with him, but I really had to catch up on my homework.

I spent the rest of the day, doing homework and thinking, well, about Keith. I thought about how unfair all of it was. I thought that if he didn’t have cancer we could have an unlimited supply of nights like prom and that I wouldn’t constantly wonder how much time we had left…because at least, then, time would be on our side. Or at least it would seem like it.

It was nearing close to eleven at night when I finally finished my homework. It felt good to finally have pretty much everything caught up. I was just heading into the kitchen, planning on making myself a cup of tea, when the front door opened and Zach walked in.

“Hey, Nats,” he said, smirking at me. He looked entirely too suspicious. But then again, when didn’t he?

I crossed my arms against my chest. “Well, it’s nice to see you’re finally home.”

“Aw, you missed me. How sweet of you.”

I just rolled my eyes. Sometimes he was so annoying. “Yeah, you wish.” I took a few steps forward to continue on to the kitchen when Zach grabbed my wrist. “What?” I asked, getting more irritated.

“You might want to go outside….”

“Why would I go outside? It’s eleven o’clock at night!” I huffed.

“I think there’s something out there for you.”

“Really?” He nodded. I stared at him for a few seconds, trying to determine if he was telling the truth, or trying to come up with a way to prank me somehow. The expression on his face, however, didn’t change, and I exhaled loudly, wondering why I was so stupid to believe him. “If you’re lying,” I started, as I put my hand on the doorknob, “I’ll kill you.”

He just smirked.

The refreshing summer night air hit me as I walked out, and I breathed it in deeply, letting it fill me up. After about thirty seconds of looking, and just as I was about to walk inside and yell at Zach, I saw it. It was hidden next to the bushes by my front door. A bowling ball, blue and white, with another rainbow rose resting in one of the holes.

Letting out what sounded like both a laugh and a sob at once, I grabbed it and sat down on my porch. When the bowling ball was resting in my lap, I saw the name Pasty engraved on it and ran my fingers over the name. I remember the night clearly, the night that we had left Patsy and Cosmo at the diner. The night that I knew that I was falling for him, and no matter what I had tried to do, had tried to tell myself. I hadn’t been able to prevent it, I had falling for him…hard. I tried to latch onto the memory for as long as I could, before lifting the rose out.

Like the first rose, it had a small piece of yellow construction paper attached to it, by dark purple ribbon. Smiling to myself, I read the note, but all it said was ‘Je’ the French word for I.

The word became blurry with my unshed tears. What was Keith doing? What did the notes ‘Partner’ and ‘I’ mean? What was it going to mean? What did he want to tell me?

I wasn’t sure how long I sat out there, before I heard the front door open and someone sit down next to me. Zach. “So, is that from the Truck Guy?” he asked. I didn’t turn to look at him, only nodded. “What’s it say?” he asked.

Je,” I said, turning to look at him. At the confused expression on his face, I clarified, “It means, I in French.”

“Ah,” he said. “What’s it suppose to mean?”

I shrugged. “I don’t really know…I think he’s trying to tell me something. I don’t understand though, why won’t he just tell me? Why is he spreading it out in notes?”

“I think you’ll find out when you’re ready.”

A tiny smile curved on my face. “He said something kind of like that.” I turned my attention back to the rose.

“So, this thing with you and the Truck Guy—”

“Keith.”

“What?”

“His name…it’s Keith.”

“Keith,” he corrected. “Is it, well, serious?”

This time, the tears came back with a vengeance, pricking the backs of my eyes like needles. “Yeah, it’s serious.”

“Then why are you so sad?” he asked.

I sighed to myself. The only people I had told Keith about were my parents, and had yet to tell either of my siblings. I think, for me, the more people I told, the more real it felt. The more real the fact that I was going to lose Keith was going to happen. But tonight, sitting here with Zach, I felt like it was the time to tell him. I don’t know why. “He’s dying, Zach,” I said, hating the way it came out more like a sob.

“Oh, ****,” he whispered. I felt my face crumple like paper. “Nats, I’m sorry. So sorry.” He sounded so sincere, and so sorry that I couldn’t help myself and rested my head on his shoulder.

“I love him, Zach.”

I felt him run comforting circles on my back. Any other day, it would have felt weird and awkward, but not now. Right now it was perfect; it was what I needed. “I know you do.”

Neither of us said anything after that. We didn’t need to. All I needed to know was that someone was there for me. And Zach, well, he was.

JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Post  JesseMacNY Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Awe,sad but really,really good! . Update when you can,please Smile.
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:49 pm

JesseMacNY wrote:Awe,sad but really,really good! . Update when you can,please Smile.

Thank you! Smile I will update soon!
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Chapter Three: Cloud Nine

The next few days went by quickly. It seemed that almost everyone at school was still on some after prom high. I was too, I guess. My happy mood, though, was really because Keith seemed to be feeling well. He hadn’t complained once in the last few days about feeling sick. And that made me happy, really happy.

It was late Wednesday night and just as I had gotten into bed, Keith called. I was unable to prevent the smile that graced my face as I heard him instantly ask, “What are you doing this weekend?”

“I haven’t really thought about it,” I answered. “Hanging out with you,” I added seconds after. That’s all I wanted to do. Spend time with Keith.

“Good,” he said. “Because we’re going somewhere.”

“We are?” I asked, slightly curious and excited at the same time.

“Yup. We’re leaving Friday after school, okay?”

“Keith,” I laughed.

“What?”

“Don’t you think you should tell me what we’re doing? You know, give me the specifics?”
    He sighed audibly. “Geez, partner, you and details.” I was silent. “Okay, if you must know, we’re going camping.”

“Camping?” I sputtered, quite surprised. I had no idea Keith had ever camped, or even liked to camp.

“Yes, camping. You do know how to camp, right?”

“Keith! Really?!” I decided that he didn’t need to know that the only camping experience I had had was in my backyard.

He chuckled, and all of the irritation that had built up inside me left as quickly as a flash of lightning. “Good. We’re going with my dad and the campground’s only like an hour away. We should be there by like six or so, we have to stop at the store and get supplies on the way.”

“Supplies?”

“Yup.”

“What kind of supplies?” I asked. What kind of supplies did one need when camping?

He huffed. “The most essential kind.”

At this, I knew exactly what he was talking about. “Let me guess…food?”

“You hit the nail on the head, partner.”

I grinned. “So, when will we back?”

“Well…Monday.”

“Monday!” I said, shocked. “Keith, what about school?”

“We’re not going,” he said, as if this was the most obvious thing.

“We’re not going?” I repeated. He expected me to skip school? Was he crazy?

“Well, unless you can be in two places at once, which I would be quite jealous about by the way, no, we’re not going.”

“How can we not go to school?” I asked, getting a little worried. I couldn’t just purposefully miss school—what was he thinking?

“It’s simple. You wake up and just…don’t go. I know it’ll be hard for you, partner, but I know you can do it.”

I huffed audibly, my irritation coming back. “Can’t we go after school ends for the summer? There’s only like two and a half weeks left. Plus, what if I miss something important?”

“Partner, there is only two and a half weeks left. No teacher is going to give new information now. That would be just plain stupid. What kind of student pays attention in classes this close to the end of the year, especially if it’s their senior year?”

“I do.” He chuckled, and I glared at the phone, even though I knew he couldn’t see me. “Stop laughing,” I said, even though I really didn’t want him to. “It’s not funny,” I added, trying my hardest to sound mad, as he continued to laugh mad; I didn’t think it was really working.

“Is there a reason why we can’t go after school ends? We can leave right after our last final, that Friday. We could even stay longer.”

There was a chilling pause on the other end of the phone, and when Keith spoke, his voice was considerably less excited. “I don’t think that’ll work.”

“Why not?” I asked, biting my lip in worry.

“It doesn’t fit into my plans.”

I felt dread fill my stomach. Doesn’t fit into my plans. What did that mean? “What does that mean, Keith?” I asked aloud, a little more harshly than I intended, but his comment worried me. It worried me a lot.

He sighed deeply. “It means what it means. We have to go this weekend. So, can you go?”

Was there something he wasn’t telling me? “Yeah,” I relented. There had to be a good reason why he felt this weekend was the one, and I figured no matter how much I pressured him to tell me, he never would. “I can go.” I wasn’t exactly sure how I would convince my parents to let me take a day off school, since it was so close to finals, but I honestly didn’t care. I would go no matter what. They could not take me away from Keith.

“Great!” he said, and I was never so glad to hear his voice become excited again.

“I’ll see you at school tomorrow,” he said and before I had the chance to ask him more about the camping trip, he hung up. I figured he might have been a bit worried that I would change my mind.

I numbly sank down onto my bed. The conversation with Keith, for some reason, left me with a strange feeling—like someone had dumped a bucket of ice cold water over my entire body. It was extremely unnerving.

Was he trying to tell me that he didn’t think he’d be around in a few weeks? I wanted to know why he would think that. Was he really not feeling as well as I had been thinking for the past few days?

Not being able to hold back my tears any longer, I grabbed my pillow—my only source of comfort –and cried, knowing that I’d probably find out what he meant sooner that I’d like.

I spent the next two days listening to Keith talk about camping. I swore I wore a huge grin on my face constantly; I just loved seeing Keith so happy and so excited.

After school on Friday, I met Keith at his house and while Henry packed my bag into the back of his truck, I went to find Keith. When I walked into his room, I saw him hastily throwing clothes into a duffel bag.

“You haven’t packed,” I stated.

He turned around to grin at me. “Partner, you’re here,” he said, affectively ignoring my question.

“I’m here,” I said. “I did practically follow you from school.”

He walked over to me, gave me a kiss on the cheek, before grabbing a few t-shirts from his dresser. He threw them carelessly into his bag, before heading into his bathroom.
    I sat on the edge of his bed and waited for him to finish packing. Less than five minutes later, he dumped an armful of his toiletries into his bag. As he went to grab a sweater, my eyes caught at least a half a dozen bottles of pills. When he walked back over, he realized what I had been staring at, and quickly tossed in his sweater, before hastily zipping up his bag.

He didn’t look at me after that and became strangely interested with something on his desk. He surprised me when a few seconds later, when he murmured, “They’re just pills…for like if I get nauseous or something.”

He still wasn’t looking at me, but I could see the side of his face, which was red with what I assumed was embarrassment. I wasn’t sure what the right thing to say was, so I just said, “It’s okay.”

Luckily, it seemed to be the right thing, because he turned and looked at me. Really looked at me—his green eyes staring right into mine. Honestly, it was a bit intimidating, his gaze on mine. It felt like he could read everything I felt and everything I wanted him to know. “Keith,” I whispered, making sure I didn’t take my eyes away from his.

“Yeah?” he said. I just smiled at him. I didn’t really have anything to say. I just wanted to say his name, and hear him answer back to me. I wanted to know that he was here, with me. Still. I knew it was probably really stupid since he was standing right in front of me, but I couldn’t help it. His voice soothed me somehow, like being able to hear it really told me that he was with me. “Ready?” he asked after a few seconds, figuring I wasn’t going to say anything else to him.

I nodded and he grabbed my hand, pulling me off of his bed.

“Keith, do we really need two bags of marshmallows?” I asked, as I watched him grab two huge bags of marshmallows and throw them into our cart.

He gave me a look, like I was insane or something, before walking down the aisle without saying a word. He didn’t really need to; his expression had said it all.

Henry and I followed Keith to the next aisle, which were the chips. Keith stopped walking suddenly and turned to me expectantly and said, “What kind of chips do you want?”

“Um…” I started, trying to think of my favorite kind. There were too many. “I like them all,” I finally replied, shrugging meekly at my pathetic answer.

He rolled his eyes. “That doesn’t answer the question.”

He continued to stare at me expectantly. “Okay,” I finally said, walking down the aisle. I picked a bag of cheesy Doritos and asked, “How about these?”

He grinned and I knew I had chosen well. “And?”

“And?” I repeated.

He rolled his eyes. “Do you really think one bag of chips is enough? I could eat like five of these myself!” he exaggerated.

“Right,” I smirked, before walking down the rest of the aisle, Keith grabbing a few bags of chips on the way (Cheetos and Fritos). I finally spotted a kind that caught my eye, and pointed them out to Keith.

He grabbed the bag and threw it into the cart. “Cheddar and Sour Cream. Great choice, partner.”

After Keith was positive we got enough chips, we went and got pop (Pepsi and Mountain Dew), before we headed to the candy aisle. I swore his eyes got as wide as saucers as he glanced at all of the choices. He took a few moments debating, before he promptly grabbed some Skittles, M&Ms, Twizzlers, Starburst, and Hershey’s bars (for s’mores).

Once Keith seemed content with our candy selection, we had to go get Twinkies and Beef sticks, which according to Keith were, “The most important snack…ever.”

After he got the supplies for his snack, he turned to Henry and I and announced, “K, we’re done.”

Both Henry and I gave Keith an exasperated look. “What?” asked Keith. “Why are you guys looking at me like that?”

“Keith,” started Henry, “what do you think we’re going to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Candy and chips?”

“Why not?” he asked. “I’ll let you in on a little secret,” he started, lowering his voice. “Chips and candy, they’re actually better for you than something like a sandwich. Healthy food is way overrated.”

I giggled at that, and Keith smirked at me. “Is that so,” said Henry. I could hear the amusement in his voice.

“Absolutely,” said Keith.

“Well,” started Henry, grabbing the cart from Keith, “I think we should get some stuff…just in case our chips and candy diet doesn’t work out.”

Keith rolled his eyes, and grabbed my hand as we followed Henry to get the rest of our groceries.

We left the grocery store twenty minutes later, and while Henry was loading the groceries into the coolers in the bed of his truck, Keith and I got comfortable in the back. “You’re the best, you know that?” I said to him, kissing him on his cheek.

“So are you, partner,” he said, causing happiness to fill me. I felt like I was on cloud nine.

I was surprised to see how crowded the campgrounds were, considering that school wasn’t out for the summer yet. Even though it was crowded, we were still able to find the perfect spot. It was right next to the lake, near some trees, so we weren’t directly under the sun during the day.

I helped unload the food and other camping equipment while Keith set up our tent. Or I guess I should say tried to set up our tent. Even though he was having difficulty, he was adamant he could do it all by himself and didn’t want Henry or I to help him.

After I finished unloading everything, and helped Henry set up his own tent, we grabbed some chairs and proceeded to watch Keith fight with the tent.

By the time Keith had finally gotten the tent together (which looked like it might fall apart if a large gust of wind passed by), Henry had already made a fire and was preparing our dinner. We were having hot dogs and baked beans. I wasn’t sure if this was traditional camping food or something, so I kept my mouth shut, hoping to act like I knew exactly what we were doing.

But, when Keith handed me an uncooked hotdog, I couldn’t prevent myself from giving him a confused look. Did he expect me to eat a raw hotdog? “Um….” I choked out, feeling incredibly embarrassed at just sitting there holding a raw hotdog.

Keith smirked at me before saying, “You’ve never been camping! You told me you’ve camped before.”

“I have too!” I defended.

“Really?” he asked, while grabbing the hotdog from me and placing it on a metal skewer, before placing it in the fire. Now knowing what I was supposed to do, I grabbed the skewer from Keith quickly, before my hotdog caught on fire.

“Yes, I have been camping,” I said casually, hoping my voice didn’t betray me, even though I knew it did.

“Camping, really? Like what, in your backyard?” I felt a blush creep on my face; Keith noticed and suddenly said, “You have only camped in your backyard! That’s hilarious.”

“So what? It’s like the same thing,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“I’m sure it is,” said Keith as I watched him place his hotdog directly in the fire as he did mine. After a few minutes, it caught on fire and he lifted it out from the fire and let it burn for a while before blowing it out. “What?” he asked me as he placed it in a bun and began decorating it with mustard, ketchup, and relish. “It’s the fast way to cook a hotdog.”

“But it’s completely black. It doesn’t even look edible. Does it even taste good?”

“Yu, it’s amazin’.”

I rolled my eyes, if anyone liked burned hotdogs, it would be Keith. I watched my hotdog cook for a few moments before I looked at both Henry and Keith. “Well,” I started, “what does one do when they are really camping?” I asked. “Opposed to being in their backyard.”

Keith snorted, before taking a rather large bite of his hotdog. “First, there’s actual water…”

“And?” I asked, as I began decorating my hotdog.

“And,” said Keith, looking at me with a glint in his eyes, “you’ll find out...”

After dinner, we all three just sat around the fire and talked. It was nearing eleven at night, when I noticed Keith had fallen asleep in his chair. I stared at him for a few minutes, wondering how he could even fall sleep in the position he was in. He had tried to fit his entire body on the tiny-fold out chair, but he hadn’t been very successful. He didn’t look comfortable at all.

“Can he fall asleep anywhere?” I asked, turning to look at Henry.

“Yup,” he answered, a small smile gracing his face, “pretty much.”

Neither of us said anything after that, and I went back to watching Keith’s chest rise and fall. For some reason it was soothing, it let me know that he was still alive. Absentmindedly, I grabbed a stick that was on the ground and began tracing random designs on the dirt. The only noises were the crackling of the fire and Keith’s deep breathing.

Just as I was beginning to think it was time to go to bed and that I should wake up Keith, Henry spoke up. “Natalie?” he said, so softly that I barely heard him at first.

“Yeah?” I asked, halting my tracing in the dirt to look at him.

“Does Keith,” he started, but stopped himself as if trying to find the right words to tell me exactly what he wanted to say. “Has he ever talked to you about death? About him dying? About how he feels about it all?”

I shook my head. “No, he hasn’t.”

Henry sighed audibly before rubbing his face with the palm of his hand. “That’s what I thought.”

Curious to why he was asking me this, I said, “Why?”

“It’s just, Al—his counselor, well, he use to be…” He stopped to swallow thickly. “He said that Keith never really talked about it. He told me this, because he thinks Keith needs to talk about it, or should at least. I’ve tried to talk to Keith about it…but every time I have, he either gets mad, ignores me, or worse, just gets really upset. I’m not sure if it’s just ‘cause I’m not the person he wants to talk about it with, or maybe he doesn’t need to talk about it. I don’t know. But, the thing is Natalie…”

“Yeah?” I prompted at his hesitation.

“I think if he does want to talk about it, you’d be the one he’d want to talk to.”

“Really?” I asked, honestly shocked.

He gave me a small smile. “Yeah.”

Still recovering from the shock of his statement, I began tracing designs in the dirt again. After a few moments I whispered, “I’ll try and talk to him.”

“Really? You would do that?”

I lifted my gaze up to glance at him. “Absolutely,” I said.

“Thanks.”

“Wake up, pumpkin love,” I heard a soft voice whisper into my ear.

I snuggled further into my pillow, trying to block out Keith’s voice and go back to sleep. It was way too early. When Keith called for me again, I knew he wouldn’t leave me alone, until I said something. I cracked my eyes open, and mumbled, “Too early.”

He grinned at me. “Did you know that you are extremely cute in the morning?”

“Keith!” I said, trying to hit him. I was unsuccessful since I was still half asleep. “Stop it!”

He kissed me on the forehead. “Well, it’s true….” He scooted closer to me. “So cute, in fact, you remind me of a teddy bear.”

“A teddy bear? God, Keith!” I was able to hit him this time, even if it was just lightly.

“A very, very cute teddy bear….” he added, moving away from me before I could hit him.

“Shut up,” I mumbled, grabbing his arm and pulling him down so he fell next to me. I snuggled up to his warm body.

We stared into each other’s eyes, and Keith began running his fingers through my hair. “Dad’s cooking breakfast. Eggs and bacon,” he mentioned a few minutes later.

“Hmmm,” I muttered, not making any move to get up.

“C’mon, partner,” he said, trying to get me up, but I kept a strong grip on his arm. “Let’s go eat ‘cause we have a lot to do today.”

“Like what?” I asked. Feeling excitement fill me, I sat up and began searching for my flip-flops.

“Things,” he said, leaning towards me, and kissing me on the forehead, before exiting the tent.

After breakfast, we swam in the lake for a few hours, before Keith declared that he wanted to show me something. As he prepared lunch for us, I kept begging him to tell me where we were going.

“Partner,” spoke up Keith, after I had begged him at least a half a dozen times. “You can beg all you want…you can even make that cute puppy dog face, but I am not going to tell you.” I stuck my tongue at him, but he just smirked at me, before packing our lunch into his backpack.

The hike took us a solid hour, and just as I was about to ask Keith if we could rest for a minute, he stopped abruptly before turning around and gently covering my eyes with his hand. “Keith, wh—”

“Shhh….” he whispered. He was close enough to me that I felt his warm breath tickling my cheek. “Keep your eyes closed, all right?” When I nodded, he took his hand away from my eyes and grabbed my hand instead, pulling me forward. We walked a few feet when I heard it. The sound of water, which made me more anxious to see what secret place Keith was going to show me. “Open them,” he finally whispered.

I inwardly gasped at the sight. Right in front of us was a small lake with a waterfall. It was absolutely beautiful. “How’d you know about this place?” I asked, turning to look at him. “It’s beautiful.”

He shrugged. “It’s been here for years.”

“It’s amazing. I feel like I’m in a movie or something. I never knew something like this actually existed.”

Keith gave me a small smile before saying, “You wanna go in?”

I nodded eagerly, and we quickly took our clothes off, revealing our bathing suits. We both stood at the edge of the lake, and I grabbed Keith’s hand. “Ready?” I asked. He nodded and I counted to three before we jumped in.

The force of the jump caused us to let go of our hands, so I quickly resurfaced, expecting to see Keith, but I didn’t. He was nowhere to be seen. “Keith!” I called. I was just about to call for him again when I felt something grab my legs, and I only had time to let out a loud, high-pitched scream before I was pulled under the water.

This time when I surfaced, Keith was there, laughing. He was laughing so hard I was afraid that he wasn’t going to be able to catch his breath. “That,” he started, but had to stop to continue laughing, “was hilarious. You screamed so loud.”

I tried my best to glare at him. “Well, wouldn’t you scream if someone grabbed you and started pulling you under the water?”

He didn’t answer, only laughed which somehow seemed to echo around us all. He was making me a little mad, so I felt that I needed to get back at him. I wasn’t sure if my plan was going to exactly work, but I thought it was better than anything. “Ah! Fish!” I screamed, trying to look extra frantic.

Keith rolled his eyes. “There wasn’t a fish, partner.”

I glared at him. “Yes there was! It was huge!” He just rolled his eyes at me again, and so I sneakily rubbed my leg against his, and as soon as I did that, he screamed and started splashing frantically to get way.

“There is a huge fish in here,” was all he said, still trying to swim away, but at the sound of my laughing he stopped, glanced at me for a few seconds, before understanding crossed his features. “You tricked me!”

I giggled. “You pulled me under the water!”

“So?! That was different!”

“No it wasn’t!” I said.

“Was too!”

“Was not!” I screamed, my voice echoing just as his laugh had. I splashed the water, hard, causing Keith to get momentarily distracted. I took it as my moment of escape.

The problem was, I was laughing too hard, and was unable to swim very fast, and Keith recovered and caught up to me quickly. “You’re in trouble!” Keith said as he wrapped his arms around me, before dunking me under the water.

Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 pm

We swam for a few hours before we both got tired and hungry. After we ate, we laid on our backs, figuring that we should wait a while before we got back in the water.

We occupied our time by watching clouds travel by and coming up with what we thought they looked like. Of course, Keith always came up with ridiculous ideas.

“That one looks like a leaf,” he commented, pointing to a cloud in the sky that looked nothing like a leaf.

“How can a cloud look like a leaf?” I admonished. “It looks more like a shoe or something.”

He turned to look at me. “You think that,” he pointed to the cloud again, “looks like a shoe?”

“Well, not exactly,” I mumbled. “But it’s definitely not a leaf.”

He just laughed, and we resumed our cloud gazing. It was a few minutes later when Keith said, “Hey, look at that one.” He pointed towards my left.

I did so. “That kind of looks like a bird or something.”

“Not any bird,” he started. “That right there is our old friend, Chirpy.”

I started at the cloud for a while, a little worried that I did kind of agree with him. “Yeah, it does look like Chirpy.”

We fell into silence after that, and I was just about to fall asleep when Keith whispered into my ear, “Come find me…”

By the time I opened my eyes and sat up, he was gone. “Keith?” I called out.

I got no response, not that I was really expecting one. I glanced at my surroundings, trying to decide the best place to start, when I glanced at the lake, and to the waterfall. I knew exactly where he was. Quickly, I swam over to the waterfall, and when I appeared on the other side, my heart skipped a beat at the sight. It wasn’t Keith that was standing there, but another rainbow rose, resting on a single rock in the water.

The water was only a foot or two deep, so I was able to walk up to the rose and pick it up. Carefully, I opened the note that was attached to it. It read: ‘t’aimerai.’ Love you. My eyes built with tears as soon as I read the word. Quickly, I combined all of his notes together, which I had memorized, which now combined to say: Partner, I will love you…

I’m not sure how long I stood there, staring at the rose. This rose, it held more meaning to me than any of the other ones Keith had so far given me, because it was the first time he said, even if it wasn’t out loud, that he loved me.

We left when the sun began going down. When we arrived back at our camping site, we were both happy to see Henry already cooking dinner as we were both starving. I felt kind of guilty that Keith and I had left Henry by himself all day, but when I voiced this to Keith, he told me that Henry didn’t mind, which made me feel better.

After Keith and I changed into our pajamas, Keith went to go get us some Pepsi’s, while I asked Henry if he needed help with dinner.

“Nope,” he said. “I’ve got it covered.”

“What’re we having?” asked Keith as he plopped down in the chair next to mine, handing me a Pepsi, before he stuffed three cookies into his mouth at once.

“Well, it seems you’re having cookies,” stated Henry. “Natalie and I are having pizza.”

Keith finished chewing before saying, “Why can’t I have pizza?”

“Because you’re filling up on cookies.”

“Oh, please,” said Keith, rolling his eyes. “That would never happen.” He turned to me, a smile on his face and said, “You’re going to love the pizza. It’s amazing.”

And it was amazing. I honestly had never had such good pizza. I felt like a pig afterwards, eating more than three pieces. But I still kept room for dessert.

S’mores.

Keith and I put away the dinner stuff and grabbed the graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. I was just about to proceed to make one for myself, when Keith placed his hand on my wrist and said, “I’ll make you one, partner.”

I grinned at him, curious to see how his s’mores would come out. I watched as he placed a marshmallow on the end of a stick and placed it directly into the fire. “Keith!” I screamed, pulling his arm back. “You’re going to set the marshmallow on fire!”

He smirked. “That’s the whole point…”

“Why would you want to purposely burn a marshmallow?”

“’Cause they’re better that way.”

“Oh, really?” I asked.

He nodded. “Just wait and see.”

So I did. After the marshmallow was burnt enough, I watched as Keith began making the s’more. I burst out in giggles when the marshmallow stuck to his finger. By the time he handed me the finished s’more, I was incredibly curious to see what it tasted like, burnt marshmallow and all.

When I bit into it, I was aware that both Keith and Henry were staring at me, waiting to see my reaction. It was a bit intimidating, but once the gooey treat was in my mouth, I had to close my eyes at the taste.

It was amazing.

Upon opening my eyes, I saw Keith staring at me, an extremely proud grin adoring his face. “Well?” he asked.

“You’re right, partner,” I smiled, “burnt marshmallows do make them better.”

After the s’mores, Henry went to bed, and Keith mentioned that he wanted to walk down to the lake. “Why?” I asked, as I followed behind him, flashlight in front of me.

“You’ll see,” he said. At the tone of his voice, I knew he had something up his sleeve, and I was trying to prepare myself for whatever it was he was going to have us do.

Instead of walking to the water’s edge, he took me onto a wooden dock, where a few people had been fishing earlier in the day. It confused me at first, but when he just stared at the water, I thought that maybe he just wanted to stare at the view for a while. “It’s so pretty,” I whispered, standing up next to him. I went to go grab his hand, but before I had the chance, he was suddenly taking his shirt off. “Keith! What are you doing!?” I hissed, glancing around me to see if there was any one else around.

He didn’t answer, and when he threw his t-shirt on the ground and started taking off his pants, my eyes got wide and a million scenarios rushed through my mind on what he was planning on doing. “What are you doing?” I asked again.

“Skinning dipping,” he said. “Sounds fun, huh?”

“Fun?” I asked. Was he crazy? There were probably a million people watching him right now. Plus, the water had to be freezing. I grabbed his hand. “Let’s go back to the tent…” I said, hoping I’d stop him from taking off the remainder of his clothes.

He pulled his hand from my grip easily, and proceeded to take off his boxers. “C’mon, partner,” was all he said, before jumping into the water.

He resurfaced seconds later, and I said, “Keith! People can probably see you!”

He laughed, and it caused my irritation to begin to lessen. “Na,” he said, “I’m in the water…they can’t see nothin’. Are you coming in?” he asked.

I bit my lip. Was I crazy for actually debating skinning dipping with Keith? “I don’t know…” I said.

“Please,” he pressed, bringing his lower lip out into a pout. A few seconds later, after not getting a response from me, he said, “If you don’t come in, I’m either going to splash you…or come kidnap you and force you into the water with me.”

“You wouldn’t,” I said, my voice weak with doubt. I had no doubt that he wouldn’t do the things he said he would. “Fine!” I finally said. “But-but if some random guys see me…” I trailed off.

“They’ll just be jealous of me,” he said, smirking.

“God, Keith!” I said, as I felt a blush rise on my face. I was glad it was dark out, since he probably didn’t notice. I took my clothes off in less than a minute, just wanting to get into the water. I didn’t even warn Keith before I jumped into the lake, right next to him.

As I surfaced, arms wrapped around me, and when I opened my eyes I was staring into Keith’s. I could see in his eyes how much he wanted me. I didn’t say anything to him; I just took my time studying him. His wet hair was plastered to his forehead, and tiny trails of water were slowly sliding down his face. His lips were wet, making me want to kiss him. I rested my forehead against his, “Keith,” I whispered.

He didn’t respond, instead, he leaned closer to me so his lips were lightly touching mine. The touch of his lips felt light as a feather, but it still drove me crazy. Suddenly, and without warning, Keith began kissing me heatedly and passionately; it was as if we couldn’t get enough of each other.

Feeling that I wasn’t close enough to him, I wrapped my arms around his neck, trying to kiss him deeper. I felt drunk off of his kisses. At this, I felt Keith groan into my mouth, and he pulled away, and I took advantage to begin kissing him on his neck. “Tent,” he practically moaned the word.

I was glad he requested this, because it was getting increasingly harder to continue trying to stay afloat. As quickly as we could, we swam to the edge of the lake. “Our clothes,” I muttered, as Keith pulled me out of the lake.

As soon as I was standing, Keith began kissing me on the neck…shoulder…anywhere he could reach. “Get…them…later…” he muttered in between kisses.

I was about to state that there was no way I was going to walk back to our tent, no matter how close it was, in the nude. But, before I could, he bent down and grabbed an extra large towel that we had used earlier in the day and wrapped it around us.

Once we were both fully covered, we ran to our tent, almost tripping over each other’s feet a few times. We were able to get into our tent without anyone seeing us, or waking up Henry.

In the tent, both still wrapped together in the cocoon the towel made, Keith suddenly stood very still, and while placing a loose strand of hair behind my ear, he said, “You’re so beautiful…” He trailed off, his voice catching. He breathed in deeply before saying, his voice a bit tight, “You’re amazing, you know that?”

“Keith,” I started. In that moment, I wanted to tell him that he was everything I wanted, and everything I needed. That, I wanted him to be in my life forever, and that if I could, I would give anything for him to always be mine and to always be with me. I wanted to tell him how much I loved him, and how he was perfect for me. But I couldn’t. I don’t think I could’ve said those words out loud, no matter how hard I tried. So, instead, I said, “You’re amazing, too,” before stepping on my tiptoes and capturing his lips with mine.

The force of my kiss must have surprised him, because he lost his balance and he fell on his back, me falling with him. Both of up started laughing, and I suddenly said, not begin able to stop myself, “I love your laugh.” I love you.

“My laugh?”

“Yeah,” I said, feeling a tad bit embarrassed. “It’s the best sound I’ve ever heard.” And it was. To me, it signaled everything that was good. I wasn’t not sure why.

“You’re silly, partner.”

I laughed slightly, before I bent down to touch my lips with his, ready to finish what we had started at the lake.

Keith and I spent Sunday swimming in the lake, riding in a paddleboat, and most importantly, going back to our sport.

I was pretty depressed when I woke up early Monday morning, knowing we’d have to leave in a few hours and also a little worried. Keith had started coughing the night before, but he kept telling me that it was nothing and he didn’t want me to tell Henry. At first, I was going to tell Henry, but by morning Keith wasn’t coughing anymore and seemed to be feeling all right, so decided not to worry Henry over a little cough.

The last activity Keith wanted to do was watch the sun rise, so we woke up early, made a thermos of hot coffee and trekked up to the tallest hill we could find (which wasn’t very tall).

Even though we weren’t that high up, the view from the top was amazing. We could practically see the entire campground. It was beautiful. The sky had an orange red tint to it. I didn’t ever remember seeing the sky look so beautiful.

After studying the view for a while, I began pouring both of us a cup of coffee. It was still early enough in the morning that there was a chill to the wind, and I wanted something warm to drink. Just as I took my first sip of coffee, Keith spoke up, “Thanks for coming camping with me, partner.”

I handed him his cup, giving him a small smile. “It was a lot of fun,” I said. I didn’t think I needed to tell him that as long as I was with him, anything would be fun.

He took a sip of his coffee, and began inspecting his sweater and that was when I knew he wanted to talk about something serious. “I-I just want to thank you for just being there, for me. Not just coming here…but for always being there. It’s—it’s not going to be easy being with me…heck, it probably never has been easy being with me, but just thanks.”

It was strange, because Keith was right, being with him was hard, because I knew he was going to leave me, but then…being with him, it was also one of the easiest things I’d ever done. Granted, there had been many times when he had been a jerk and I did get annoyed with him, but I had never been with someone that made me feel amazing and beautiful and perfect just by being with them. Being with him felt right; it felt perfect. “I wouldn’t want it any other way,” I said—and it was the truth.

He bit his lip, and focused his gaze towards the lake. “You know,” he started after a few moments, “I-I wouldn’t hate you if you decide to leave when things get bad...”

“Bad? What do you mean by bad?” I wasn’t sure I really wanted to know. “And why would you ever think I’d leave you?”

He turned to glance at me, giving me a tiny smirk, but to me it seemed like he was trying to use it to hide his true emotions from showing. “You know what I mean by bad, partner. Bad as in when I start to die.”

The word hit me so hard I felt like someone had punched me in the gut. Hard. “Keith, don’t—” I started, wanting to tell him to not bring his death up, but then I remembered the conversation Henry and I had and instead I said, my voice soft and shaky, “Are-are you scared, Keith? Of-of…dying?”

I could tell by the expression that graced his face that he was shocked at my question, but I also thought that I might have seen some relief, whether he physically felt it, I would never know. “Scared?” he finally repeated. He heaved a big sigh before saying, in a quiet voice, as if he was scared to admit it, “Yeah, I guess I am.” He rubbed the back of his neck nervously before he asked, “Do you think that’s stupid?”

I felt tears prickle the back of my eyes at his question. “It’s not stupid at all. I think you’d be surprised to see how many people are scared of death.” I was scared of death.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah, really,” I said, hoping that he believed me. “Wh-what about death scares you?” I asked, wondering if he was ready to be forthcoming enough with me to answer my question.

He was quiet for a while, and at first I suspected that he didn’t want to answer it, but then he spoke up. “I don’t know…. everything,” he said, giving a dry laugh. “I mean, I’m scared that it’s going to hurt. I’m scared that I’m not going to know what’s going on….”

“Do you think about it a lot?” I whispered.

“Yeah,” he said, “I do. I mean,” he said, taking in a deep breath. “More than I probably should.” I was about to say something, but he surprised me and said, “You know what’s weird?” he spoke up. “I think about what I’ll miss the most…and you know what?”

“What?” I asked, trying my hardest to keep my composure. For him.

“It’s not something like food or driving or movies. It’s the simple things, like the smell of Christmas, the sound of the wind…the way everything smells after it rains…” His voice caught then, and I could see his chin wobbling like he was trying hard not to cry. I almost lost it then. I didn’t say anything; I didn’t need to. He breathed in deeply, composing himself before he said, “Of course, though,” he started, staring right into my eyes. “I’ll miss you the most…and Dad.”

“Keith…”

I think he could see the tears blurring my vision, so he quickly said, “Don’t cry, please…” He pulled me close to him, so my head was resting on his shoulder. “Look,” he pointed ahead, “the sun’s rising.”

I snuggled up closer to him, grabbing his hand and intertwining our fingers together, while the both of us watched the sun rise. Right now, I was with Keith, and to me, that was all that mattered.

“Thanks for talking to me, partner,” said Keith after a few minutes.

I squeezed his hand, before saying, “Keith?”

“Yeah?”

“I will never leave you.”
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Post  JesseMacNY Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Lovedd it. Bitter-sweet :').
    Skysthelimit
    Skysthelimit

Post  Skysthelimit Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:49 pm

JesseMacNY wrote:Lovedd it. Bitter-sweet :').

Thank you!
    JesseMacNY
    JesseMacNY

Post  JesseMacNY Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Skysthelimit wrote:
    JesseMacNY wrote:Lovedd it. Bitter-sweet :').

Thank you!

You're welcome (:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:47 am